Monday, February 18, 2008

From beneath you it devours: the remake

This week we mourned the passing of Roy Scheider with a recap of his wonderful one-liners from Jaws: The Movies. Except for Jaws 3 and 4, of which we do not speak. I love sharks, I really do. Especially if "love" means never having to get in the ocean again.

I once went snorkling in Costa Rica and I thought that was very brave of me, especially considering the threat of ailing snakes. But I digress.

Roy Scheider was terrific as Martin Brody, and he'll be remembered every time someone steps aboard a vessel, smirks, and says, "we're gonna need a bigger boat." There was really nothing scarier than the original Jaws movies, even though I've seen the making-of specials and that fake shark was kind of a piece of crap. But even when they started making new shark movies, like Deep Blue Sea (bigger brains in sharks? Really? REALLY?), the sharks themselves were fairly ridiculous. But it was knowing that they were out there, and you were treading water.

Perhaps, a different take on sharks.

And must Discovery put on the fucking flying sharks all the time? Seriously? Sharks that fucking fly? As if regular sharks weren't enough for nightmares.

Anyway, rest well, Mr. Scheider. You always had the right idea when it came to the ending of a shark movie. And that video game based on Jaws was pretty ok too, except for the last level was kind of hard.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 2/19/2008 11:16 AM, Blogger asianpixie said...

Sharks don't bother me as much as "Open Water."

 
At 2/20/2008 4:56 PM, Blogger Jezebel said...

Wow, and for so long I had blocked out seeing that movie completely. Thanks a lot AP!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home