Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Et tu Special K?

I found out this morning that Special K is made with high-fructose corn syrup. It's unbelieeeeeevable! (And yet, believable...) I'm not coming down on one side or the other in the controversy (ok, I don't believe it's "natural" or nutritious) but I have tried to cut most HFCS out of my diet, just as I've tried to limit sugar and fat, and I'm appalled by the number of products that use it. Ever since I read Animal, Vegetable, Miracle (it's fabulous and funny), I've been counting down the hours until I can shop at a local farmer's market and stop buying tomatoes from Mexico. They taste better and they support a local economy that doesn't waste more energy shipping the food to me than the actual caloric energy provided by the food. Not to mention the whole oil/terrorism thing. What was I ranting about?

Oh yeah, HFCS. This is not nutrition! And what pisses me off is that Special K, while not a baggie of celery sticks, is supposed to be fairly good for you, with the low calories and the fat free and the 11 vitamins and minerals. You know what else is in there? Malt flavoring. What the hell is that? Here's the long answer. The short answer, I think, is that it's barley drippings and bacteria. This produces "positive flavor notes."

What the hell are we putting into our bodies?

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 1/23/2008 11:24 AM, Blogger MKD said...

And if something is “Fortified with Iron” does that mean that iron bits are in it?

 
At 1/26/2008 2:15 PM, Blogger Jezebel said...

I think it means that it has turrets.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home