Monday, March 13, 2006

DC Tea Bagging

So at 4pm today, Sen Feingold will speak on a resolution to censure the president for high crimes an misdemeanors. I mean, this charge could be for any number of crimes and misdemeanors (being a liar, being an asshole, being a warmonger and a tyrant, etc.) but specifically, the Senator wants to call the President out on illegally wiretapping US citizens without a warrant. Which is illegal. And also, not legal at all. But the real bitch of this is that I don't have a senator to call if I want to lend my voice to support this censure. So I looked through my hanging files and found the one marked "taxes" and sure enough, I've paid federal taxes since I moved to DC almost nine years ago. I'm also subject to all federal laws and contribute to the $2000 a day that it costs for Dick Cheney to get a motorcade from the Naval Observatory to the OEOB. And yet.

DC gets three electoral college votes, which is the bare minimum a US citizen paying federal taxes should get. I guess. And we have a representative in the House, Eleanor Holmes Norton, who is officially a "non-voting delegate." Which is some shit. Unlike Puerto Rico, which has both an Olympic Team and its own representatives for Miss World and Miss Universe, DC is under the sole authority of Congress. Terrifying. We have a population of 563,384 (2003 census) but no representation in the federal government. Bring on the redcoats, I'm loading up my musket.

All this history to say that I'd support the censure if I had a way to do so. So to the three people who read this post, use your powers of citizenship to call your Senators and support the censure (contact info). The first step that King George took when he got to the White House was to remove the District license plates from his limousines that read "Taxation Without Representation." Asshat.

Open your mouth Potomac River, cause I'm gonna dip my tea in it.

1 Comments:

At 3/14/2006 3:28 PM, Blogger MKD said...

Done and done.

But I don't think that is what tea bagging is. I think.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home