Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Bleedin' Armadillo Groom's Cake

Name that movie and I'll give you a sticker.

This past weekend I attended what was probably the best wedding I have ever been to. First, it was short. Second, the groom is one of my closest friends and his nuptials were occasion for a long-overdue reunion of the old crowd. Personal abandonment issues aside, it was amazing to all be together again. Third, the food was excellent, the catering staff, incredible, and the mimosas, flowing. If we hadn't been so incredibly drunk all weekend, we might have drained every last drop of champagne.

The wedding took place in a Westchester front yard, and thankfully the rain held off for a couple of hours so the ceremony could be held outside as planned. The grooms looked amazing and managed to find complimenting tuxedos that, for once, distinguished them from one another. Everyone cried during the ceremony, which was touching and sincere, and even the kids managed to sit still for 20 minutes. I usually don't approve of anyone at a wedding who is too young to drink, but these children were perfectly groomed, had gorgeous moppet hair, and were genuinely adorable. The father of Groom #2 made a hilariously inappropriate speech (complete with nudie slide show), and the brothers of both grooms spoke from the heart. The food was buffet style brunch but there were so many different stations set up that there weren't any lines. They opted out of traditional dancing and planned an after party in Manhattan for later that night. None of the guests had to sit through any of the cake-cutting (they substituted sundaes and chocolate covered strawberries) or wedding party first dances. It was the first wedding I've been to where I wasn't trying to find a good opening to make my escape. Ab Fab.

I had such a wonderful time at this wedding and was really moved by the overwhelming support shown by both families. The guests were amazing people (my old boss' sister was kind of a surprise, but her partner and I are now the bestest of friends) and the hosts could not have been more gracious. But the most important truism I learned that morning was not that true love knows no boundaries, or that the right to marry is a right everyone should have equally, but that a Jew and a Gentile really can make it to the alter.

Lechaim!

9 Comments:

At 10/13/2005 6:50 AM, Blogger Andy said...

is the movie Schindler's List? it sounds like Schindler's List

 
At 10/13/2005 12:14 PM, Blogger M. Fred said...

STEEL MAGNOLIAS!!

"Shealbee wahz riaght! It is ah brawn football healmit!"

 
At 10/13/2005 12:31 PM, Blogger asianpixie said...

Damn, Center! I totally had it, but you beat me to it.

 
At 10/13/2005 6:41 PM, Blogger MKD said...

Yes, a JEW *cough, cough* and a gentile. *cough, cough*

Yay gay wedding! Our plan is nigh! Code: Blue monkey flies tonight in the shadow of the storm!

Now go! Breeders beware.

PS can I call Bob on his gay sister?

 
At 10/14/2005 7:22 AM, Blogger Jezebel said...

MKD - I kind of hope you do. Sounds like something he would have mentioned long ago. "Hey guys (huuungh), what are you talking about (huuuuuggrrrllgh). Hey I have a sister who's gay (huuurrrgghhh). I know stuff. Want to be friends?"

 
At 10/19/2005 10:33 PM, Blogger MKD said...

I miss you. A lot.

 
At 10/20/2005 10:56 AM, Blogger M. Fred said...

Where is my sticker, beyatch?

 
At 11/08/2005 11:15 PM, Blogger Misti said...

Steel Magnolias. Grooms aunt (?) made a red velvet armadillo cake.

 
At 12/05/2005 2:44 PM, Blogger M. Fred said...

Do you think you could get an RSS feed or something so that way I can just get a notice when you post and not keep coming to this site TIME AND TIME AGAIN only to have my HOPES AND DREAMS dashed LIKE SWEET INNOCENT BUTTERFLIES against your windshield of blog-indifference?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home