Friday, September 30, 2005

Commentphobia

I am one of the unluckly and rare few that suffer from the rare and often undiagnosed Internet-related disorder of Commentphobia. Commentphobia is defined simply as a "fear of commenting on well-written blogs." The most common symptom is a frequent authoring of comments without publishing any of them, usually due to fears of ridicule from writers and bloggers who are much funnier than you. I suffer an acute case of this, having offered literally dozens of comments that I never post.

In truth, I really do have a problem with commenting. I try to comment all the time, but I end up thinking that what I've written is either only funny to me, or might even be considered offensive. So after hitting the Preview button 6 or 7 times, I decide that the comment isn't good enough and ultimately delete it. Maybe I should just let them stand, but I just cant seem to get myself to publish them.

So for New Year's this year, I think my new resolution will be to post my comments no matter what. You have to face your fears, right? I'm willing to face this one, so long as I don't have to face my far more serious fear of spiders.

I know, it seems silly to fear such "harmless" creatures like arachnids, but stop and think about them for a minute: 8 legs, bunches of eyes, the ability to scale walls and ceilings, and silk shooting out of their asses...and no one else is the slightest bit concerned about what they plan to do with that kind of evolutionary sophistication? As for their "small" size, I ask you: would they name one of them the Goliath Bird-Eating Spider if they weren't HUGE???

Ok, so maybe I got off the subject of commenting, but now I have to stop typing since I keep having to look up every 5 seconds to make sure an army of Goliaths aren't descending upon me from the ceiling..

RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!

3 Comments:

At 9/30/2005 4:20 PM, Blogger MKD said...

I spit upon your fears and I demand you comment more.

 
At 10/02/2005 11:50 AM, Blogger M. Fred said...

The first step towards healing is admitting that you have a problem. I foresee a great and brilliant future in commenting for you, grasshopper.

Also, did you know tarantulas can jump? This actually freaks me out a little.

 
At 10/04/2005 11:57 AM, Blogger asianpixie said...

I don't see "Commentphobia" on my Phobia list; therefore it does not exist ;)

Those huge spiders are pretty scary. They also have 1-inch fangs. When my sister was in Costa Rica, one was sprawled out over the outhouse hole. Needless to say, she went through that night without peeing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home