Friday, April 08, 2005

All Aboard the Oregon Trail

A long LONG time ago, I was introduced to the wonders of technology when I got my first Apple IIe. I wore the ink off the keys learning logo and trying to get that damned turtle to move the way I wanted him to, but I was always drawn to the games. I think that's when my gaming passions really started to form, and I have such wonderful games to thank for that: Transylvania, Math Blaster (trust me, it was fun), and of course, The Oregon Trail, one of the earliest games to be considered "edutainment."

For those of you who dont know what I'm talking about, here is the best description of it I can find, and amazingly it includes screenshots!

Perhaps many of us loved that game a little too much. So much so, in fact, that it is still available for download and playing via Apple2 emulators. While reminiscing about the game other day, a few of us decided to do a google search, and low-and-behold, we found a copy of the game!

You can pick up The Oregon Trail from here.

Find a good Apple IIe emulator from here.

Always remember - if the river is more than 5 feet deep, float your wagon, dont ford the river. And if you die of dysentary, you can even get a t-shirt marking the occaision!

3 Comments:

At 4/08/2005 11:57 AM, Blogger MKD said...

I remember that game! I always forgot to buy an extra axel and we ended up never making it to Oregon.

P.S. you're a dork. AF may have comics but you are still on par.

 
At 4/11/2005 10:20 AM, Blogger asianpixie said...

Dorks unite! We should get uniforms or a theme song or something.

 
At 4/22/2005 10:48 AM, Blogger MKD said...

Post damnit! Post!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home