Thursday, March 31, 2005

O Constitution, where art thou?

Does anyone in the media, our federal government, or the majority of the inflammatory pundits on TV in the past week remember what are Constitution says? I dont think so.

While there are many other things that are offensive about the Terri Shiavo case to me - Congress and the President intervening in a family affair, the outrageous punditry that's been going on non-stop throughout this ordeal, the interference by so many special interest groups in the affairs of a troubled family - I think the people that burn me the most are those that claim that the judiciary ran wild and ruled incongruently with the will of Congress and the President. Does anyone remember the idea of checks and balances??? Judges do not write the laws, they are there only to interpret the law and enact whatever judgements are required under the law. The idiots in government that are blaming the judges for this fiasco seem to forget that they are the ones writing the laws the judges must apply in these cases. If they don't like the laws, work to change them, but don't blame the judiciary because you simply don't like the way they ruled in a case.

This is an abomination and usurpation of our government. The fact that both State and federal authorities got involved and they all laid the blame on the doorstep of the courthouse only serves to prove the point that they are completely out of touch with the ideas America was founded upon. I am disgusted that government officials could behave this way, though I am saddened to say that since the Bush administration started running things this has become more the norm than an exception.

Some questions the media might consider asking someday when they get their spines back:

1. Why did the President take time off his busy vacation schedule to sign a law that applied to only one person and was of questionable constitutionality? Why did he choose to take time off his vacation for this, but not the Tsunami? How about in August 2001 when he got the memo about Bin Laden?

2. The President said that when in doubt we should err on the side of life. So where was he when a Texas hospital removed the feeding tube of a newborn (which they were able to do as a result of a law that he signed as Governor)? How about when he was signing all of the execution orders while Governor of Texas? Do they not warrant that benefit of the doubt??

3. When did Bill Frist become one of the primary doctors for Terri Shiavo? I mean, he made a full diagnosis of her condition on the floor of the Senate, so I'm sure he must be regularly checking her condition, visiting with her, examining test results. Oh wait - he just saw the same video they keep showing on the news. So how exactly did he reach his expert medical conclusions?


Lastly - since Congress was compelled to pass a law for one person, I have some requests on my own behalf that I'd like them to take up on the floor immediately.

1. I have some student loans that I'll need paid off. I'll need them to take some money from Social Security to help me pay those off.

2. My GF needs some money for school, so we'll need some additional funding there as well.

3. I've been fairly upset that I have to pay taxes. So I'll need an exemption from those also.

4. I always felt that it wasn't fair to make people work on Mondays. They'll never get that passed for everyone, but I figure that since it should be my turn for some lawmaking, I'd like a personal exemption from work on all Mondays in perpetuity.

I think that covers it for now, but I'll get back to them as I think of more. I figure this will be on a first-come, first-served basis so with only 290,000,000 people in the country, they should be getting around to me sometime soon.

1 Comments:

At 3/31/2005 5:20 PM, Blogger MKD said...

We can send Bill Frist pictures of our ailments for instant diagnosis (http://www.boingboing.net/2005/03/25/send_frist_photos_of.html)!

I have a few things I would like to get passed as well:

Free Digital Cable for Myself and Friends

Bill Frist be made my personal doctor

Oh! I almost forgot. I would like to loose more of my personal freedoms.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home